Wednesday, January 6, 2010

2009 (James)

It's difficult to review an entire year. You tend to have the clearest memories of the most recent events, so earlier happenings might not carry appropriate weight. Also, so much occurs in one year that it's challenging to make choices...you don't want to leave anything out!

With those disclaimers, here are a few things in my life I will remember from 2009:

1) My birthday is January 1st, so on 1/1/09 I turned 40. As if on cue my body began to slowly disintegrate throughout the year...I tore ligaments in my ankle and one of my fingers during the year. Otherwise, I like being old. It's kind of freeing!
2) In March my Grandmother (on my dad's side) passed away at the age of 94. This was bittersweet...it's no fun grieving or watching others experience loss, yet the fellowship with family and friends was a rich blessing.
3) Our family vacation this year was to Kelly's Island. It's been a long time since we didn't find the "perfect" spot for vacation, but I think we missed the mark this year. Just not the right fit for our family. However, Cedar Pointe was a highlight, especially watching Laura on the kiddie coasters!
4) In August my 18 years on full time staff with Young Life ended...sort of. I still work for Young Life, but I also began working part time at Riverview Church. I do the same things in both jobs...teach and shepherd teams. The new environment has brought new challenges and some great people. I'm blessed.
5) In September my oldest son entered High School. He's doing great, but it's weird, especially since he goes to the High School where I've been a YL leader for 18 years. Weird.

Those are the 1st 5 things that come to mind...I have a great life with a great wife and 3 memorable boys. We have a clear purpose to glorify God and love people, so that fills life with challenges and rewards. I'm anxious to get Sam's take on 2009!!

1 comment:

  1. 2009 certainly was a crazy year. Keep up the blogging!

    ReplyDelete