Sunday, January 3, 2010

Invictus (Sam)

RANKING: 8 out of 10

I went to see this movie twice, both times with my dad. However, the first time I went, I didn't actually see it. Apparently there was a minor fire at the movie theater, Celebration Cinema, so the entire theater was shut down. So, we went back a second time after Christmas.

The film is set in the 1990s, in the first few months of Nelson Mandela's (Morgan Freeman) presidency in South Africa. He has just been released from prison, and doesn't like to talk about his family. His secret service consists of both black and white men. Mandela decides to use South Africa's rugby team to help South Africa rise to become one of the main global powers, which he meets with the team captain (Matt Damon) about.

This film is better than other critics say it is (the only review I've seen of it gives it a 6 out of 10). But there are some complaints to be lodged in there. The final game is overlong, boring, and confusing. And the critics were right when they said that the film doesn't explain rugby, a sport little known to Americans, well enough.

But the performances really help this movie. Freeman in particular is virtually unrecognizable as Nelson Mandela, with a very believable accent. Damon is equally good as the rugby team captain. The film also centers around class distinction, such as the secret service consisting of mixed races, the rugby team visiting a very improverished neighborhood, and police officers excitedly lifting a homeless boy after the team's win.

"Invictus," isn't the most entertaining film ever. But believe me, it's worthwhile...a great film to use for my first review!

5 comments:

  1. Hey Sam!

    What a great site! As a movie guy, I can appreciate what you're up too!

    You're spot on about Invictus. The film was inspiring because it encourages the audience to overcome differences to make a more free and equal society. Morgan Freeman, as usual, was amazing in his role. And you're right about rugby, I still have no idea how it works! Ha ha.

    Anyway, thanks for the link, I'll return the favor. And speaking of links, here are two great site for an aspiring movie critique:

    http://www.imdb.com/
    http://www.rottentomatoes.com/

    Keep up the good work!

    Justin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Invictus as well and liked it. I saw it just a few days after I saw the Blindside. I would have to say that while the theme of Invictus has greater worldwide implications, I liked Blindside better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Sam,

    nice job on your first review. I will be looking forward to a review on The Blindside. I haven't seen it yet, whats your take on it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Sam,
    What a cool blog!!!
    I agree. I thought Morgan Freeman did a great job as Nelson Mandela. I thought the movie dragged a lot. I'd give it a 6 out of 10

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your comments!!!

    Justin, I checked out Rotten Tomatoes, and I love it. The first movie I looked up, "Toy Story," had 100% positive reviews based on a survey. Thanks for the recommendation!

    I agree with you, Corky. I thought "Invictus" dragged a lot, especially during the final game. "6 out of 10" is a common ranking for that movie.

    I also agree with you, Matt. I though "The Blind Side" was much better. Mike, you HAVE to see that movie!!! I'll try to get my review of it on the blog.

    Love the comments. Keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete